Premium Coffee Collection
- The goal of this rebranding project is to expand the current product offerings into something that people can use on a daily basis, and making the homemade coffee process into an enhanced daily ritual.
- Aiming to elevate the sensory experience by lifting the everyday coffee brewing process to a premium level.
This is GODIVA
GODIVA Chocolatier is a manufacturer of premium chocolates and related products. The company was founded in 1926 in Brussels, Belgium, by the Draps family. The company was purchased by the Turkish Yıldız Holding in November 2007. Later MBK Partners bought a stake in 2019.
With the mission statement to go global and to promote a high quality product and service, Godiva chocolate is made to bring sheer delight to their customers.
REPUTATION & HISTORY
Godiva has a long history of producing chocolate products and authentic Belgian heritage dating back to the early twentieth century, both of which add to the company’s reputation as a high-quality producer of chocolate products.
Godiva offers a wide range of high quality chocolate products that it produces at its manufacturing facilities in the US and Belgium using premium ingredients and a traditional recipe.
BROAD SALES REACH
Godiva operates an extensive network of hundreds of retail outlets across North America, Asia Pacific, and Europe, and operates an online store through which customers can browse and order products at their convenience.
Godiva has positioned itself as a provider of luxury products, offering customers a high-end experience including luxury packaging and excellent customer care.
- At lower price points, Mars, Hershey, Nestle, and Ferrero Rocher were inching up to “premium,” higher-priced offerings
- GODIVA tries to reach lower price market, which means the brand is gaining more competitors in the market
DECLINE IN FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE
- GODIVA has experienced declines compared to 2016: A 1.2% annualized decline over the five years to 2020
- Due to decrease in demand for in-person shopping during the pandemic, Chocolatier Godiva will be shuttering its 128 store and café locations across North America in March, 2020.
Larger than average, GODIVA has greater financial & competitive advantages
GODIVA has 2 patents, indicating defensible intellectual property & the ability to provide unique product offerings
DECLINES IN REVENUE
GODIVA has experienced declines compared to 2016
NO OUTSIDE CAPITAL
GODIVA has not raised any outside capital recently, indicating the company may be subject to disruption by more innovative firms
The company is operating in a $31B industry
The general industry has been growing, which also gives all companies in the industry an opportunity to grow
There has been an increase in companies in chocolate industry, suggesting barriers to entry are not sufficiently high to keep competition low.
GODIVA is planning to expand their market to coffee bars and pastry products. GODIVA will have to compete with chains like Starbucks, where CEO Young-Scrivner worked earlier on.
Even before COVID-19, GODIVA planned to increase the product distribution, which included supermarkets and drugstores to make their products more accessible.
GODIVA is focusing on marketing strategy on the digital world, expanding into further platforms on Snapchat and Pinterest which offer their own unique ways to interact with their customers.
Bring GODIVA home, to everyday life.
COFFEE RITUAL WITH GODIVA
Making the homemade coffee process a ritual at home. GODIVA can launch a set of homemade coffee collection along with their coffee product line. The idea is to make customers have a zone out time and a complete experience with GODIVA’s products at home.
Shop-quality drinks will be made at home
Impact of the pandemic changes the US workplace as more consumers work from home
Consumers will commute less and thus be less likely to visit a foodservice outlet for a prepared coffee beverage.
Increased interest in machines that provide premium and high-quality coffee drinks
Spending money on premium coffee
More workers will want to treat themselves to great tasting, high-quality coffee when work from home
Overall interest in premium coffee will likely increase as consumers reduce their foodservice coffee expenditures.
Premium and foodservice-branded coffee will be affordable luxuries
Coffee-making is no longer all about speed
Consumers look for slower, less frantic ritual to include in their day, and beautiful appliances to add to their kitchen
Coffee makers have an important place in the home, where they enhance cherished morning or after-meal rituals
The rituals of coffee making are elevated to an art form with glass equipment, which shows off the full theatre of the process
Chocolate & Coffee Pairing
Both coffee and chocolate have a lot of flavor combinations in common
Most frequent pairing options: Chocolate flakes/chocolate powders added into coffee, chocolate and coffee served separately
Dark roasts coffees taste exceptionally good with dark chocolates
- Most coffee makers brew within 10 min, except cold brew and cold drip methods that will take extra long time
- Few products that put emphasis on the sensory experience, mostly speed-focused
- An opportunity for GODIVA to have a complete and pleasant experience for making coffee with relatively efficient speed and time
Turn coffee making process to a ritual to evoke a premium vibe. Bring the light to people’s home and everyday life.
Bring the sense of tranquility to people’s everyday life, and give people a zone out moment when making coffee at home
Forms of the design should embrace a softness through the usage of curves
Using transparent glass as the main material, the curves form a nice flow, as the liquid
The coffee maker and serving cups will use the transparent glass as the material. Layer of transparency will create a mesmerizing refraction during the brewing process.
- Vertical configuration occupies less counter top space
- It is taller but visually more elegant than the horizontal configuration
- Separated milk froth maker gives people options to purchase or not
Design Language Application
- Using cardboards and paper to build quick mock-ups
- To determine the right proportion of the machine, carafe, milk froth machine and serving cups
- To find out the correct size of the transparent glass shell piece of the coffee machine
GODIVA Premium Coffee Collection
“Look, smell, listen, feel and taste, that’s what GODIVA is all about.”